MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID ENGLAND TRAINING
MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID ENGLAND TRAINING COURSE
The MHFA England training course teaches adults how to provide Mental Health First Aid to colleagues, family and friends.
As a licensed Mental Health First Aid England Instructor, I will deliver quality mental health training to your staff that will complement your mental and physical health at work strategies.
As part of the Adult Mental Heath First Aid England course, all participants are provided with learning materials including a MHFA England manual to aid learning.
This training will help establish a network of staff in your workplace who have a better understanding of how to support others with their mental health. By reading my post, ‘Why your business needs Mental Health First Aiders‘, you will understand more about the importance of this training for your organisation.
Invest in mental health for the benefit of your organisation.
Contact me to discuss your training needs.
GET IN TOUCH
BOOK YOUR COURSE
Contact me to discuss your organisation’s training needs and arrange to set up your Mental Health First Aid online training course
ACCESS THE MODULES
Once your course is set up, participants will be sent their learning materials & then given access to the e-learning hub to begin their modules
ATTEND THE WEBINARS
Participants are then sent the necessary link for the webinars, a mandatory part of the course, as outlined in the course structure below
ADULT MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID
This online course trains you as a Mental Health First Aider, giving you:
- An in-depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support
Details of the course structure, outlining all the topics, can be found at the bottom of this page.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
(MHFA England values this course at £300 per person.)
The Adult Mental Health First Aid training course – with me as your instructor, including all materials, manual and certificate – is at a discounted rate of £250 per participant.
A further 10% discount is applied to group bookings of six or more delegates and, therefore, is priced at £225 per participant.
For multiple group course bookings, contact me so that we can discuss your requirements.
Mental Health First Aid courses are for everyone over 18. You do not need prior knowledge of mental health, just like not requiring medical knowledge to take a physical first aid course.
All sorts of people benefit from this training. The types of people who have benefited already include:
- Line managers
- Local authority staff
- HR professionals
- Frontline workers
- Transport industry employees
The Australia based MHFA International grants and oversees the worldwide licenses to individual counties. Each of these individual countries has been permitted to adapt the Mental Health First Aid course accordingly to meet their needs, reflecting cultural differences and differing mental health legislation.
MHFA England and MHFA Wales courses may differ slightly, however, the outcome and skills learned are essentially the same.
As this is an online course, you would need the following:
- internet access
- access to a laptop or computer with a web camera and microphone; the use of headphones might also be of benefit
- use of the Chrome web-browser where possible
Participants who complete all of the required learning will have access to their downloadable Mental Health First Aid certificate once the course feedback has been completed.
The MHFA certificate is valid for three years, the same as physical first aid training. It is recommended that, in order to keep knowledge up to date, another Mental Health First Aid course is taken after this period of time.
For many, after the three years, a refresher course is adequate, instead of another full MHFA course. This will depend on the level of your retained knowledge, which differs for everyone.
At this time, only online courses are available due to Covid.
I do not anticipate on delivering classroom based courses for the foreseeable future.
“Ellender was welcoming and enthusiastic from the moment we joined the course. The way in which the information was explained, combined with real life examples, made learning the contents easy and enjoyable. I feel I have taken a huge amount from the course and that is in no small part because of the way in which it was delivered by Ellender.”
HOW THE MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID ENGLAND COURSE IS DELIVERED
This Mental Health First Aid training is an online course delivered through the MHFA England Online Learning Hub.
Learning takes place through four live training webinar sessions with me as your instructor. These are spread across two to four weeks, with self-learning activities in between. The course structure is detailed in the section below, which outlines the different sessions and the topics covered.
Each session is built around a Mental Health First Aid action plan.
I limit numbers to 12 people per course so that I can keep participants’ welfare safe and supported while they learn.
All participants who complete the course gets:
ADULT MHFA ENGLAND
ONLINE COURSE STRUCTURE
Click on the headings below for the drop down list of topics
- Introduction to the Online Mental Health First Aid course and the Online Learning Hub
- Activity 1: Why Mental Health First Aid?
- Activity 2: The Mental Health First Aid action plan
- Activity 3: What is mental health?
- Activity 4: Quiz: Impact of mental health
- Activity 5: Stress Container (completed after live session)
- Activity 6: Frame of Reference (completed after live session)
- Introduction to course functions
- Introduction to the course
- ALGEE and mental health introduction recap
- Risk and protective factors
- 10 minute break
- Frame of Reference
- The Mental Health Continuum
- Introduction to the Stress Container
- Activity 7: What is depression?
- Activity 8: Risk factors for depression
- Activity 9: Mental Health First Aid for depression
- Activity 10: Introduction to suicide
- Recap of individual learning on depression
- Prevalence of suicide
- Suicide, substance misuse and dual diagnosis
- Analyse the impact of suicidal feelings
- Recap of ALGEE and risk factors for suicide
- Explain Mental Health First Aid action plan 1 for suicide
- 10 minute break
- Explain non-judgemental listening, Empathy video
- Practice using ALGEE in case study scenarios
- Review of ALGEE for suicide and depression
- Activity 11: What is anxiety?
- Activity 12: Mental Health First Aid for anxiety
- Activity 13: What are eating disorders?
- Activity 14: Mental Health First Aid for eating disorders
- Activity 15: What is self-harm?
- Activity 16: Mental Health First Aid for self-harm
- Activity 17: What are personality disorders?
- Recap of individual learning on anxiety
- Recap of the five basic steps of ALGEE for anxiety
- Explain action 1 for anxiety
- How to support someone who is having a panic attack
- Explain crisis first aid
- Practice action 2: non-judgemental listening
- 10 minute break
- Practice applying the Mental Health First Aid action plan for anxiety
- Explain cognitive behavioural therapy
- Recap of eating disorders and self-harm
- Case study for eating disorders and self-harm
- Review ALGEE for eating disorders and self-harm
- Activity 18: What are psychosis, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder?
- Activity 19: Risk factors for psychosis
- Activity 20: Mental Health First Aid for psychosis
- Activity 21: Helpful and unhelpful responses
- Workbook Activity 10: My action plan for using Mental Health First Aid
(completed after live session)
- Review of individual learning on psychosis
- Explain the development of symptoms of psychosis
- Review the five steps of ALGEE for psychosis
- Group discussion about MHFA Australia psychosis video
- Case study activity using Mental Health First Aid action plan for psychosis
- 10 minute break
- Explore how to build a mentally healthy workplace
- Start action plan to use Mental Health First Aid
BOOK YOUR TRAINING COURSE
Start your organisation’s mental health training journey by contacting me to discuss your training requirements
MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS TRAINING COURSE
In addition to your Mental Health First Aiders, it can be extremely beneficial for all staff to complete the Mental Health Awareness course.
The Mental Health Awareness training is a half day course designed to be an ideal starting point to learn about mental health and mental illness.
By training your whole organisation in Mental Health Awareness to complement your Mental health First Aiders, a strong network of mental health knowledge will be achieved. This investment will help to minimise days lost to mental health related illness and help build resilience.